Synonyms: (to transfer possession) ceder, (to pass into someone’s hand) entregar, (to make a gift of) presentear, (to provide a service) oferecer, (to organise an event) oferecer, organizar, ter, (to publish or broadcast news) comunicar, informar, (to cause) causar, provocar, resultar em, (to administer) ministrar, (to be enough) bastar, (to produce) gerar, produzir, (to consider) considerar, ter (por/como)
- to give to transfer one’s possession of something to someone without anything in return exampleTe darei um livro. I will give you a book.
- to give to pass something into someone’s hand exampleDá-me sua mão. Give me your hand.
- to give to make a present or gift of exampleDei flores à minha mulher. I gave my wife flowers.
- to give to provide a service exampleA Igreja dá conforto aos pobres. The Church gives the poor comfort. exampleEle dá aulas de latim. He gives Latin classes.
- to give to carry out a physical interaction with something exampleEla me deu um beijo. She gave me a kiss. exampleDá uma tijolada nele. Give him a blow with a brick.
- to give to cause a sensation or feeling to exist in exampleA cerca me deu um choque elétrico. The fence gave me an electric shock. exampleEssa música me dá medo. This song frightens me. (Literally: This song gives me fear.)
- to throw to organise an event exampleDarei uma festa para meus amigos amanhã. I’ll throw a party for my friends tomorrow.
- to publish or broadcast news exampleO jornal deu que cancelaram-se os eventos. The newspaper informed that the events have been cancelled.
- to give; to issue; to emit exampleJoão nos dará recomendações. John will give us recommendations. exampleEle gosta de dar ordens. He like issuing orders.
- to cause to produce as a result exampleComer rápido dá azia. Eating quickly causes heartburn. exampleNão te preocupes, não dará nada. Don’t worry, it won’t lead to anything.
- to administer to cause to take (medicine) exampleDemo-lo insulina. We gave him insulin.
- to be enough exampleDez euros dá para almoçar hoje. Ten euros is enough to have lunch today.
- to yield; to produce; to generate exampleEsse poço dava água. This well used to produce water. exampleMacieiras dão maçãs. Apple trees produce apples.
- to make to tend or be able to become exampleEla daria uma boa professora. She would make a good teacher.
- (the object is followed by the conjunctions por or como) to consider assign some quality to exampleDepois de semanas procurando, deram-nos como desaparecidos. After weeks searching, they considered them to be disappeared.
- (Brazil, slang, vulgar) to allow to be sexually penetrate
- (to transfer possession) ganhar, receber