- A board long, wide and thin piece of sawn timber.
- An element in many compound words, where the English equivalent is "board" (The Finnish equivalent for "board" may also be taulu or levy). These compounds can be shortened to plain lauta, if there is no danger of confusion. šakkilauta silityslauta lainelauta lumilauta ponnahduslauta
- (colloquial) A woman who has small breasts.
- As sawn timber, lauta is generally at least 75 mm (3") wide and no more than 38 mm (1,5") thick. Anything narrower is called rima, and anything thicker is lankku or parru.
- aulat, laatu, latua, taula