- (RP) [dəʊp]
- (US) [doʊp]
- (uncountable) Any viscous liquid or paste, such as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
- (uncountable) An absorbent material used to hold a liquid.
- (uncountable, aeronautics) Any varnish used to coat a part, such as an airplane wing or a hot-air balloon in order to waterproof, strengthen, etc.
- (uncountable, slang) Any illicit or narcotic drug that produces euphoria or satisfies an addiction; particularly heroin.
- 1953, , Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer, Pantheon, 1981, p. 18 Here's a cure for all your troubles, here's an end to all distress. It's the old dope peddler, with his powdered happiness.
- (uncountable, slang) Information, usually from an inside source, originally in horse racing and other sports. What's the latest dope on the stock market?
- (countable, slang) A stupid person.
- (US, Ohio) dessert topping
- (transitive, slang) To affect with drugs.
- (transitive) To treat with dope (lubricant, etc.).
- (transitive, electronics) To add a dopant such as arsenic to (a pure semiconductor such as silicon).
- (slang) To use drugs.
- (slang, transitive, dated) To judge or guess; to predict the result of.
- (slang) Great, amazing or extraordinary. That party was dope!
- oped, op-ed
- poed, p.o.ed, p.o.'ed