- hole; perforation
- gap; opening exampleHy't 'n gat in sy opvoeding. He has a gap in his education.
- hole or hollowed out area used as a shelter or home by animals
- (figuratively) dump; a run-down living space, room or house exampleJinne! Jy bly in 'n gat! Man! You live in a dump!
- (golf) hole; cup
- (vulgar) anus
- (crude) rump; buttocks; bum; ass; backside of a human exampleSit op jou gat! Sit on your ass!
- the backside of animals or objects exampleDie olifant staan met sy gat na ons toe. The elephant is standing with his backside turned to us.